March 22, 2017
Arsenic Rule Compliance
Compliance with the Arsenic Rule requires additional monitoring and community water system actions beyond compliance with the chemical contaminants rules.
Quick Reference Guide to Arsenic and Clarifications to Compliance and New Source Monitoring Rule
This document provides a simple and straightforward summary of the rule. It includes critical deadlines and requirements for PWSs and states, and information on monitoring requirements.
- Quick Reference Guide for Arsenic (PDF)(2 pp, 98 K, About PDF) EPA 816-F-01-004
12 Steps to Arsenic Compliance and Helpful Resources for Public Water Systems
This factsheet provides a checklist to help PWSs move towards compliance with the Arsenic Rule. With each step, a list of EPA’s most helpful references is included.
- 12 Steps to Arsenic Compliance and Helpful Resources for Public Water Systems (PDF)(1 pg, 279 K, About PDF) EPA 816-F-06-016
Arsenic and your distribution system
This fact sheet helps PWSs understand and respond to issues that may arise with arsenic. It also covers distribution system concerns resulting from the installation of arsenic treatment.
- Arsenic and your Distribution System (PDF)(25 pp, 735 K, About PDF) EPA 816-F-07-005
A System’s Guide to the Identification and Disposal of Hazardous and Non-Hazardous Water Treatment Plant Residuals
Drinking water PWSs producing solid waste are required to determine whether that waste is hazardous. These requirements are described in this document in summary form only.
- A System’s Guide to the Identification and Disposal of Hazardous and Non-Hazardous Water Treatment Plant Residuals (PDF)(8 pp, 2 MB, About PDF) EPA 816-F-06-011, August 2006
Technologies and Costs for Removal of Arsenic from Drinking Water
This document details arsenic removal technologies, including point-of-entry and point-of-use treatment options. It also presents capital and operation and maintenance costs for each of the removal technologies in graphical format.
- Technologies and Costs for Removal of Arsenic from Drinking Water (PDF)(284 pp, 655 K, About PDF) EPA 815-R-00-028, December 2000
Evaluating Arsenic Treatment Providers: A Guide for Public Water Systems
This document provides an overview on the long-term, chronic health effects linked to arsenic. It describes available treatment technologies for arsenic removal and questions to ask vendors about technologies.
(PDF)(25 pp, 735 K, About PDF) EPA 816-R-05-008, November 2005
Historic Arsenic Guidance Information
The page provides information on the potential health effects of exposure to arsenic. It includes an overview of the rule and background information on natural occurrence of arsenic.
- Drinking Water Standard for Arsenic Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 140 K, About PDF) EPA 815-F-00-015, January 2001
The following links provide additional information about the Phase II/V Rule and the Arsenic Rule.